We love to sail in the British Virgin Islands.
The British Virgin Islands, the BVI, are over 50 islands in the Carribean. They are perfect islands for sailing and have a large tourist and charter industry. Great sailing winds, relaxed people and plenty of small islands and beaches make this a favorite destination for many vacationers.
Our goal is to help you have fun planning for your BVI sailing vacation no matter what your experience level. People of all sailing abilities and levels sail in the BVI. It’s a great place for people new to sailing to start out and it’s so much fun that people return year after year. Planning a sailing vacation, chartering a boat, figuring out where to go and keeping your friends and family safe, can be really exciting … and really nerve racking. Our goal is to give you the information you need in a way that let’s you enjoy the planning. We know you’re probably nervous. (We only get to sail every year or two on vacation. We are nervous every time!) But with the right planning, you’ll have a great time! And planning is half the fun.
We like to sail in the BVI because:
- The people are super friendly – both the local people and all the people there on vacation.
- It’s very sailing friendly with lots of charter companies, businesses that cater to sailors, mooring balls and a bar on every beach to get ice or food.
- It’s easy sailing.
- The winds are consistent but not too strong.
- The islands (except for Anegada) are all line of sight.
- There are no tides.
- The weather is always nice, between 70 and 80 degrees F.
- There’s diversity – you can plan a vacation of beach bars or a vacation of quiet coves and snorkeling. Or a mix of both.
- The islands are not over developed. While there are plenty of restaurants, there isn’t a lot of shopping except in Road Town and Virgin Gorda.
- The water is warm and the snorkeling is amazing! Turtles, sting rays, octopus, squid and lots of coral and reef fish!
Feel free to leave a note below about your favorite trip to the BVI – or tell us what your dream trip would be.
Come explore, learn and share with us!